Lemon Sugar Wafers
Discovered this recipe quite a few years ago during the Christmas Season. Although I have never been a huge cookie baker, these immediately became part of my repertoire for an all year round treat. The kids, grandkids and our Brazilian grandchildren enjoy them immensely. They really are a lemon flavoured sugar cookie without the fuss of rolling out the dough. They really are fabulous!
- • 2 cups white sugar
- • 1 cup butter, softened
- • 2 eggs
- • 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest - generous is okay
- • 1/4 cup lemon juice
- • 1 teaspoon vanilla
- • 3 1/2 cups flour
- • 1 teaspoon baking soda
- • 1 teaspoon salt
- • 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- • addiitional granualated sugar
- Cream sugar, butter, eggs, lemon zest, juice and vanilla in large mixing bowl until smooth. I use a stand mixer.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, salt and cream of tartar until well blended.
- Refrigerate 1 hour.
- Shape dough into 1 inch balls.
- Roll in additional granulated sugar coating generously.
- Place 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes in a 325 degree oven or until light golden brown.
- Cookies will be soft in the centre.
- Cool on sheet for 5 minutes, then transfer to rack to cool completely.
- I use a Pampered Chef baking stone so the baking time for me is closer to 18 minutes in a Miele oven. A baking stone ensures completely even heating so that the bottoms don't get too brown. As always, monitor the progress of the baking and adjust to the uniqueness of your oven.